This course welcomes new students to the OLC at Priesthorpe and explains the rights they have as users and also the responsibilities thay face. We then go on to cover:
- What is research & why is it important to education?
- What sort of learner and thinker are you?
- Melville Dewey and why the OLc is organised in this way
- How to mind map and notetake with and without technology.
- Different types of text have different types of knowledge
- Plagiarism and cheating
- Web 2.0 and 2.5 and how the social web will help you
Students will also complete an online activity (webquest) and learn some more presentation skills for their research.
This course covers information literacy skils and knowledge development for Year 12. It gives students opportunities to explore and learn about:
- Sources of information
- Web 2.0 tools
- Preparing and developing a project
- Practical Presentation Skills
Upon completing this course students should be able to complete undergraduate level projects by conducting searches; analyzing and verifiying sources of information; creating academic standard citations and bibliographies and using web 2.0 tools and presentation tools to make the process easier and the results more dynamic.